Professor Xudong Zhao is the Director of Research and Chair Professor at the School of Engineering and Computer Science, University of Hull (UK), and has enjoyed a global reputation as a distinguished academic in the areas of sustainable building services, renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies, and mechanical engineering.
Over more than 30 years of professional career, he has led or participated in 55 research projects funded by EU, EPSRC, Royal Society, Innovate-UK, Royal Academy of Engineering, China Ministry of Science and Technology and industry with accumulated fund value in excess of £14 million; 40 engineering consultancy projects worth £5 million, and claimed 11 patents. Up to date, he has supervised 27 PhD students and 17 postdoctoral research fellows, published 174 peer-reviewed papers in high impact journals and referred conferences, involved authorization of 5 books, chaired, organized and gave keynote (invited) speeches in 25 international conferences.
His researches in solar PV, solar thermal, solar PV/T (photovoltaic/thermal), heat pump, and sustainable heating & cooling have achieved world-leading standards, being placed at the ‘2017 world highly cited researchers list’, receiving the ‘European Dragon-STAR Innovation Silver Award (2nd place)’, ‘World Society of Sustainable Energy Technology 1st and 2th Round Innovation Awards’ in consecutive years of 2016 and 2017, and being nominated as a candidate for ‘2018 World Eni-awards’.
He is currently undertaking a number of important national and international roles:
- Member of the UK ‘EPSRC Engineering Prioritisation Panel’;
- Executive Board Member of the ‘World Society of Sustainable Energy Technologies’;
- Executive Management Board Member of the ‘International Conference Series for Sustainable Energy Technologies’;
- Steering Committee Member of the ‘European District Heating and Cooling Technology Platform’ involving development of work documents for European Commission in this subject;
- Editorial board member of the journals ‘Energy’, ‘Energies’, ‘Future Cities and Environment’, ‘Frontiers in Built Environment and Mechanical Engineering’, ‘Heat Exchangers’, ‘Sustainable Cities and Society’, ‘Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning’ and ‘Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering’;
- Guest Lead Editors for the ‘Applied Energy’, ‘International Journal of Photo-energy’, ‘Energies’, and ‘Frontier of Energy Researches’;
- The referee for EU FP7 programme, colleague member of EPSRC (UK), referee of ESRC (UK), French National Agency (ANR), Kazakhstan National Science and Technology Ministry, Portugal Science and Technology section and Hong Kong Research Grant Council; and
- UK Newton Fund Programme Advisor focusing on China related research collaboration.